Oil & Gas companies

Share and discuss ideas on how to financially navigate the peak oil situation
Tokamak

Oil & Gas companies

Post by Tokamak »

It seems self evident to me that the most obvious peak oil investment is to hold the last man standing with resources as supplies dwindle and are outstripped by demand. However, there are about 200 O&G companies on the LSE alone and my experience with trying to pick winners has been gut wrenching in the extreme. There are ADVFN boards for many of them, but the noise to signal ratio is notoriously low over there.
There are a few global energy ETF's and others based on the US or Europe only.
America looks set to be the only energy independent western democracy and there are a lot of O&G companies listed over there as well as ADR's from some international players.
Tom
Site Admin

Re: Oil & Gas companies

Post by Tom »

I'm counter intuitively avoiding directly investing in oil companies. I wrote a small post about it here.

main points are:

- Gail Tverberg makes a compelling case that crude prices won't actually spike and stay high. Instead it will be highly volatile as the economy gets crushed crashing oil prices & as oil gets too low below the cost to extract.
- Political risk aka nationalization. At bare min stop gaps like export restrictions.
Tokamak

Re: Oil & Gas companies

Post by Tokamak »

This is the inherent contradiction of end-of-oil investing. If there is economic collapse then oil demand will evaporate followed by supply as the suppliers disappear. I doubt there will be any companies or stock exchanges etc by then. We have to navigate the interim period when Governments are trying to manage the decline/disorder, which is starting to happen now. I am hoping they can keep the balls in the air for the rest of my lifetime (25yrs?), but won't be surprised if they don't.