Timber REITs

Share and discuss ideas on how to financially navigate the peak oil situation
Tom
Site Admin

Timber REITs

Post by Tom »

When performing thought experiments about potential investments that may hold up in a Peak Oil world, I inevitably think about the world as it was pre-fossil fuels. Especially before coal became widespread. What jumps out as the main commodity that enabled and fueled that life? Wood.

First there was lumber. Coal brought in the industrial revolution. And oil drives our modern society today. Once the limits of oil are reached (November 2018?) we'll be forced to retreat backwards to rely on previous energy sources.

But it's not just an energy source that wood offered (though it's importance here cannot be understated). It was an invaluable building material that went into a vast array of goods. Building boats. Homes. Railway ties. Weapons. Paper. Even in modern day times it's cheaper for certain applications than modern alternatives such as wooden floors: Wooden floors are much less energy intensive than the common alternatives: the total energy per square meter of flooring per year of service was put at 1.6 MJ for wood (usually oak or maple) compared to 2.3 MJ for linoleum and 2.8 MJ for vinyl. (https://energyskeptic.com/2018/vaclav-smil-on-wood/)

In short, if peak oil is here I definitely want exposure to wood and timberlands.

Thoughts? Pitfalls? Would love to hear opinions on my logic.
strictlyfinancial

Re: Timber REITs

Post by strictlyfinancial »

Don't think it will be so drastic. What about Nuclear/uranium?
Tokamak

Re: Timber REITs

Post by Tokamak »

My initial thoughts are that timber would probably be a good investment in a slow decline scenario. Expect increasing prices as other materials become scarcer. In a collapse scenario I think it would be stolen, either by Governments or local people. Are there any examples in the UK or are they all in America?